As soon as she walked in, I knew. I felt her presence pulling towards me. It was always like that with her. Like she was an extended part of me. The look on her face was like she had been dragged to this wedding. As always.
As she settled down, I wondered if I should go and say hi. Or sorry.

After glancing around the room, she finally caught my eye. I looked at her pleadingly, wondering what her reaction would be. She smiled, and for a moment I hesitated. Unsure. Eventually I smiled back. She wasn't one to stay angry for long. Maybe I took that for granted. She giggled and made a mocking face at me, as if to scold me. One of the reasons why I love her so much.
I burst out laughing at her silliness. It always amused me how silly and cute she could be at the same time.
I couldn't help but gaze at her beauty. She wasn't drop dead model gorgeous, and she was no plain jane either. But rather a wholesome warm kind of beautiful that literally radiated from inside out.
Embarrassed she covered her face with her hands. I don't know why it always embarrassed her when I gazed at her like that.
Just then-"Hey honey, we have to get going. We can't be late to my parents'. Again."

My heart sank. My very pregnant wife jogged my mind back to the present. Don't get me wrong. I love her. My wife, that is. But I love her also. She was the very air I breathed. But she wasn't ready. Not for me. At least I don't think she was.
Sometimes I wonder if its her free spirit that scared me away. Or her open mind.
I got up to follow my wife out, and just then I caught her eye. I pleaded with her to understand. Disappointment flashed through her eyes. Then hurt, then disappointment. It broke my heart to do this to her. Again.
I'm sorry- I mouthed before I left.

As I led my wife out, a tear escaped my eye. "Honey, I didn't think going to my parents would make you cry?!" My wife said to me alarmed.
I smiled as I gave a kiss on the cheek.
"On the contrary love, I just realized I'm the happiest man alive."

Xxx
Fabulo-la


Sent from my CrackBerry® device.

Comments (10)

On July 6, 2011 at 8:38 AM , Giagerry said...

hahahhah happiest man wey dey scope anoda woman ehn? Lool! Fabulola u dey write sha! Love it, u should have added to the story on my blog o! :(

 
On July 6, 2011 at 10:47 AM , Unknown said...

Very poignant!

 
On July 6, 2011 at 11:02 PM , Nee Fe Mi said...

I love it

 
On July 6, 2011 at 11:50 PM , Ms. 'dufa said...

Love Love Love it!

 
On July 8, 2011 at 3:04 AM , SHE said...

*groan*
Happiest man? how?

 
On July 9, 2011 at 6:09 PM , CerebrallyBusy said...

this breaks my heart :(

 
On July 10, 2011 at 9:22 PM , Jennifer A. said...

Wow. I'm moved. I don't know what to feel for this man though: rage or pity?

 
On July 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM , Gbemisoke said...

Awwwww...
No joor, no awwww.
Warramess?!
He'll always pine for what would've/might've been...
Great writing!

 
On September 6, 2011 at 2:21 AM , Thoughtstreams said...

Great flash fiction, felt all the emotions too, both disgusted at him and sorry for all three of them, his hurt mistress, his sorry self and his clueless wife...life!

 
On February 27, 2012 at 2:22 AM , CFAgbata said...

I have been watching lots of romantic movies for the past few years. I stopped watching such movies because all the stories seemed to be the same thing with happy endings or some emotional parts etc. But reading your blog I really felt that I would also love my wife just the way you did.